19 May 2014

Frances

Frances

I've posted about Frances before, but this is a better photo. This quilt has replaced the ruffly bordered double wedding ring on the wall.

The original blocks were purchased at a garage sale and given to me by a friend. I can't remember how many there were but they were the sorriest looking blocks I've ever seen. They measured approximately (loosely) 12" and were fans that were curved pieced to the background reminiscent of a drunkard's path block with it's quarter circle. These blocks were fraying and misshapen and couldn't be used in their current state. I hand washed them and then took them apart. Why? Because the fabric was all feedsacks! I cut the wedges down, remade the fans and then appliquéd them onto a muslin background. The setting for 'Frances' is the snake in the hollow setting. The newest fabric in this quilt is the brown used in the corner of the fans. That fabric is an early 1980's fabric. I had enough of the fabric left over to make the piano key border.

3 comments:

  1. Frances is beautiful and well worth the extra effort. I'm glad that you rescued the fabrics and turned them into a work of art. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really impressive. A real work of love - for sure.
    Marne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feedsacks! Wow that is a beautiful quilt now. You have a great deal of patience, but the end result is wonderful!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete